On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 6:45 PM, Richard Weait <rich...@weait.com> wrote:
> Well it can't be highway=motorway_junction because motorways don't
> have level crossings, right?
>
> If this were a motorway_junction (it isn't) the exit number would be
> in the ref tag on the exit node, so go with that.

In the US, no; highway=motorways can't have level crossings. But,
despite the name,
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dmotorway_junction is
not only for use on motorways. (And renaming it wouldn't help; it
would then be a question of how to tag the same node as both
traffic_signals and trunk_junction.)

> I would tag the ways as usual, highway="secondary" or whatever is
> appropriate here.
>
> highway="traffic_signals"
> ref="10B"

To expand on Ian's reply, the ref for an exit number only makes sense
when coupled with highway=motorway_junction; some cities number their
traffic lights and post these numbers:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jstephenconn/2961191591/ This is what I'd
expect from highway=traffic_signals ref=3.

> This image illustrates your question perfectly.
> http://alpsroads.net/roads/nj/gsp/n10.jpg  Thank you for including it.
>
> If that is indeed a flare for the right turn to 657 Eastbound, I might
> mark the first node of the flare with the ref="10B"

Yes, it's a flare, making it an imperfect example:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=39.085008&lon=-74.815164&zoom=18&layers=B000FTF