At the risk of over complicating things, let me give a little more info.

LA County is a fragmented place with many different cities and
unincorporated areas puzzled together. Our "neighborhoods" are in fact three
different types of areas consolidated.

1. Cities divided into neighborhoods. i.e.
http://projects.latimes.com/mapping-la/neighborhoods/city/los-angeles/
2. Complete cities, drawn by their formal boundaries. i.e.
http://projects.latimes.com/mapping-la/neighborhoods/neighborhood/west-hollywood/
3. Unincorporated areas that are "Census Defined Places":
http://projects.latimes.com/mapping-la/neighborhoods/neighborhood/east-los-angeles/

On top of that, there are dozens of small unincorporated areas that are
basically islands floating between everything else. We've lumped them in
with a bordering neighborhood:
http://projects.latimes.com/mapping-la/neighborhoods/unincorporated/list/page/1/

Why did we throw all these together and call them neighborhoods? Because our
goal is to have a single common denominator we can spread across the entire
county and use for comparison. That's why we build them out of Census
tracts, so we could rack up demographics about them all. i.e.:
http://projects.latimes.com/mapping-la/neighborhoods/income/median/neighborhood/list/

As time goes on, we plan to divide up all of the cities into smaller
neighborhoods, not just Los Angeles, we did in a first round last year. In
cases where cities have official hood boundaries (LA does not) we'll likely
use those.

More info about the project and process is here:
http://projects.latimes.com/mapping-la/neighborhoods/about/

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 5:23 AM, John F. Eldredge <j...@jfeldredge.com>wrote:

> This sounds like a good compromise to me, as most people will have a
> general agreement of where a given neighborhood is located, but differ about
> where the boundaries are located.
>
> --
> John F. Eldredge -- j...@jfeldredge.com
> "Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not
> to think at all." -- Hypatia of Alexandria

palewire.com
work: 213-473-2624
cell: 213-254-5570