On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 1:51 PM, Toby Murray <toby.mur...@gmail.com> wrote:

> They want to produce a map of the city that highlights the dangerous
> roads to avoid in order to show how they act as barriers and make it
> very difficult to move around town on a bicycle.

Sounds like it's in both their interest and ours for them to include
information on *why* a particular road is considered dangerous.  Hopefully
some patterns will arise, and we can create tags to map that rather than a
generic "hazard_level=8".

I could see
> using numbers (0=safe path or bike lane, 1=residential/low traffic
> road, 2=bigger roads with higher speed traffic, 3=avoid at all costs)
> or some other string based identifier if that is deemed easier to
> understand.

According to http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Cycleway bike lanes should
be mapped as cycleway=lane.  Speed limits should be mapped as maxspeed=*.
 The number of lanes should be mapped as lanes=*.

I hope you can convince them to map these sorts of things in addition to
whatever hazard level tagging system you come up with.  Personally I don't
mind if they add some sort of subjective hazard level tag as well as these
objective tags, but I think the objective tags will be much more useful in
the long term.

I don't think we have any widely spread tags for traffic levels.  It'd be
nice for them to contribute, but maybe is beyond the scope of OSM.

At the very least some sort of note=* explaining *why* the road is
considered hazardous would be nice.