Interesting. A while I ago I did some work on generating relief contours
from Viewfinder's DEM data, basis of which are old Soviet military maps:
http://igorbrejc.net/openstreetmap/viewfinders-dem-data-comparison-with-srtm

Someone then warned me that "some of the Viewfinder data stems from Soviet
military topos, these a copyrighted by Roscartographia, still. No
reproduction, no selling etc. We’re not using these data for open projects,
it is avoided for OSM etc…" (see the discussion in the comments).

I'd be interested to know what is the real truth: public domain or
Roscartographia?

Igor