Yeah. Also, as Toby says, it's pretty much "totally overloaded", and
has been for the last few months.

What's happened recently was that the updates broke for a few weeks,
and were restarted last Wednesday. The disk cache then filled up
completely on Friday, so there was only a small window for the tiles
to be re-rendered. Space was freed up on Monday, and then rendering
was stopped again on Wednesday for the next scheduled update. I
estimate it would take about 10-12 days to update all the tiles, and
there simply hasn't been very many days in the last week where the
system has been updating - and because it wasn't updating for three
weeks before that, some tiles are seriously out of date. They should
sort themselves out, over the next week or so.

As for the new server that's being mentioned, that's being set up at
the moment. New host, new hardware, new software (mainly newer
versions of mapnik and osm2pgsql). Unfortunately it's not as fast as
I'd hoped, and I'm seriously concerned about whether it'll be able to
take the load! Running osm2pgsql in slim mode is soaking up much of
the hardware improvements. We'll see how it goes, but I'm confident
the whole thing is moving in the right direction.

It starts coming down to questions of time and money, and I only have
a limited supply of both :-)

Cheers,
Andy