Hi,

On 17 July 2010 10:34, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:
> Michael Barabanov wrote:
>>
>> 1. OSMF does change the license without any regard; people who are against
>> ODBL get pissed off and stop contributing (lost for OSM?). No data loss from
>> the database.
>
>> 2. OSMF does not do that; contributions of people who are against ODBL are
>> deleted, people who are against ODBL stop contributing anyway.  Potential
>> data loss.
>
> This is true but I am pretty convinced that (1) would lead to people saying:
> "Ah, OpenStreetMap, those guys that re-licence their stuff at will." - We
> would be thrown in with people like CDDB.

Ironically I wouldn't mind if OSMF did that, this way taking the blame
for it on itself.  Me and other mappers in my area have spent
man-months of work adapting and merging somebody else's CC-By-SA map
data and none of us will be able to accept the Contributor Terms.  So
if OSMF takes the burden of telling the people who collected that data
"sorry, your license wasn't valid", then all the better for us :)

(some background)
AFAIK the majority of data currently in OSM in Poland comes from that
other project, which still has lots more contributors than OSM here.
Because of this, and the license limbo state, most OSM mappers in
Poland are currently spinning on idle unsure of whether all their work
will soon be removed from osm and will only be available in an old
planet snapshot, unusable for users of the data who would have to join
the two dataset (new osm and old osm).  Any new edits are also based
on that data so mostly anything you do is bound to be removed.
There's lots of uncertainty on the forums, some people keep on
adapting and importing more data, then on the other hand some of the
users registered after May 12 are being told that they in particular
can't use this data for their own area because they have signed up on
different license conditions than older users and may be infringing on
that other project's license if they did (but then maybe not).  Yet
other users would be happy to register a new user account and already
start wiping out Poland and start mapping from scratch just so we can
plunge forward instead of waiting indefinitely.  This is not helped by
the legal working group not answering to these mappers' questions,
several people on the polish forum said they had mailed the legal
alias about lwg's opinion on this By-SA data to never get a response.
I tried raising the question on the legal list at least once and also
never got any reply (other than a RichardF's unhelpful comment that
the other project's license is invalid then).

Cheers