On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 6:22 AM, Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamp...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Wouldn't it be an idea to simply render a pass "importance" based on the
> type of highway it is connected to?

That's a heuristic which will work well in some areas, but I doubt it
will be flexible enough to give a good result everywhere. I've seen
passes in Peru that were only mule tracks, but were still very
significant landmarks.

> On my personal map, I'm displaying all
> passes that are connected to a highway=track with tracktype=grade1 (and all
> "higher") - works well for planning my street motorcycle trips.

Right, your motorcycle bias is showing through :)

> Otherwise, a single importance tag will be important for which audience? A
> mountain_pass on an international hiking route might be important for hikers
> ("highest pass on this hiking trip"), but not even accessible by bike. So
> marking this one important is pretty misleading for someone not planning a
> hiking trip.
>
> If we want to distinguish the importance for specific groups we would then
> need a hiking_importance, bicycle_importance, motorcycle_importance, ...

Interesting point, to which I don't have an answer. I think it would
be a good idea if we put some thought into defining the major map
audiences, rather than considering it to be an infinite list, though.

Steve