I just recently pointed my nooscope at places outside the U.S. and was quite amused to see arabic letters in the tile maps around Tunis...

http://ookaboo.com/o/pictures/topic/82500/Tunis

Looking around a bit more I find Japanese writing w/ Romanized text around Tokyo

http://ookaboo.com/o/pictures/topic/75666/Museum_of_Contemporary_Art_Tokyo

I appreciate that the people "on the ground" who make the map are going to be people who are located in an area, and are going to know the local language, but people who want to explore faraway places could have a hard time with the rendering that I'm seeing -- are there are roman-alphabet tilemaps around anywhere?

Cultural imperialist or not, my suspicion that that the roman alphabet is (at least somewhat) understood by educated people who use non-roman alphabets regularly (this is definitely the case in the CJK area.) On the other hand, my guess is that the ability to read Arabic is as common in, say Korea, as it is in the U.S.