From: Greg Corradini
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 4:30 PM
To: talk@openstreetmap.org
Subject: [OSM-talk] Tagging Scheme Recommendations: highway=path, footway,trail?

I've been looking at a lot of hiking trails on OSM in the Cascade Mountains
near Seattle. I've noticed a few different tags in regard to trail GPS traces
(highway=path,highway=footway,highway=trail,highway=footpath). The wiki page on
"US roads tagging" recommendations only has the following advice to offer about
trails:

"Ways on which most motor vehicle traffic is either legally of physically
prohibitive get highway=path, or a more specific tag as appropriate. This
category includes roads that normally function as hiking trails because of
barricades opened only occasionally or rarely."

I'm wondering if anyone with more OSM trail tagging experience can clarify the
last part of the first sentence -- "or a more specific tag as appropriate". Has
anyone done a tag count of trail-like values in OSM to get an idea what's being
used the most? Does anyone have a opinion about a more specific tag to use for
this feature?

Thanks