Believe it or not (and I look forward to the conspiracy theories on 80n's
mailing list) it's one very large coincidence.

I originally pushed Denver (where I live) with some folks here for SOTM-US and
Eric asked me to help with the FOSS4G bid for 2010. Both fell through. Then
Hurricane and others took the SOTM-US bid and turned that in to a SOTM 2011
bid, and Eric did a ton of work on FOSS4G 2011 and both came through.

Personally I have always thought there should be a strong separation between
the conferences, and have advocated that in both camps.

I'm super glad SOTM is coming to the US, there's huge potential here. Denver's
a great place and it's my hope that SOTM '11 in Denver will help form a
stronger community here.

Steve

stevecoast.com