j...@jfeldredge.com wrote:
One issue is that, if you are mapping a historic road that is located
differently from the current-day road, unless you have a series of maps showing
each successive change, you can't be sure whether there were additional change
steps between what your historic map shows and the current state.  So, for
example, if you knew that the current road layout was built in 1950, and your
historic road comes from an 1850 map, you might map the old road as having been
in place from 1850 to 1950.  However, it might turn out that the area in
question was redeveloped in 1900, and then those roads were replaced in 1950.
So, unless you have full documentation of all of the changes, the dates are
likely to be speculative at best.

The whole of genealogy is working out the best possible reading of the information when 'facts' are missing. We just record what documentation is available such as resided house A in 1881 and at house B in 1891 ... we do not necessarily know when they moved from one to the other and in the case of one of my wife's ancestors, they spent a few years in Australia in between ... and maps of their home in Ballarat would be nice since we have addresses from birth certificates :)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL