On Wed, 2010-11-10 at 22:25 +0100, Laurence Penney wrote:
> For the record, I'm 100% against OSM becoming a place for general
>  historical data ...

Just out of interest, are you 100% against OSM keeping recent history
data?  If a building is demolished, do you believe that deleting the way
should remove any trace of that from OSM, or do you believe that OSM
should retain a history?  How long should that history be retained?  In
10 years, would you advocate that any historic data (objects deleted
over n years ago) be deleted, to avoid cluttering the database?  If OSM
had existed 20 years ago, would you be advocating that the database be
kept clean, so that only current data is in it?

OSM, by its nature, is excellent for retaining historic data, for
example if a road is realigned, you have a history that shows how it was
realigned, or if a road changes name, there exists a history of previous
names.

> I'm not sure what you're saying - that 18,000 tag usages is
> insufficient for someone to try to sort out a mess of tag values?

I read it more as 'this tag already has a range of values and other
uses, do you really have to use it?'.  You also have to wonder, of those
18,000 tags, how many are in your area of interest, and what percentage
of nodes in that area are tagged?  Maybe .1% if youve been busy.

David