On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 8:04 PM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/12/15 Steve Bennett <stevag...@gmail.com>:
>> I'm sorry, but no. This is not common practice, nor is it desirable.
>> Could we please not give advice which only reflects personal
>> preferences?
>>
>> Fwiw, highway=road is for when you know *nothing* about a road. Can
>> you tell me, hand on heart, that you would not tag this road:
>>
>> http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-38.107325,145.15275&z=20&t=k&nmd=20101020
>>
>> as highway=residential, maxspeed=50, surface=paved, lanes=2?
>

> If I knew the road I would surely do it. For the _point_ you linked
> to, it seems correct (the maxspeed at least for one direction), but I
> still would have to guess, that this maxspeed is valid for the other
> direction as well (probably yes, but you cannot be sure) and that it
> is valid for the whole road.

If I was a tourist and I went to that particular spot and saw that
"50" on the ground, I still wouldn't know if the speed limit is just
for one direction or both and if it applies to the whole road. So even
if I were on the ground, my information would not be much better than
if I traced from that particular aerial imagery.

> Don't know if it is a residential street either (could be unclassified
> or tertiary). Of course you don't know for other restrictions (e.g.
> weight, but also access=destination, ...). You can be quite sure for
> the information you provided above, but still you don't know if some
> important information (like access=destination) that you surely would
> insert if you had visited the place, is missing.

OSM's a wiki, so other people can add those details. There's no need
to have everything topnotch on the first edit. Otherwise we'd have a
pretty blank map.

> This discussion is simply about the quality level: are you satisfied
> with probable information derived from an aerial photo depicting the
> situation some years ago, or do you want to insert only information
> you verified on the ground and you can guarantee for?

For aerial imagery that is of a high resolution and recency as
Nearmap's, I would rather trust an Australian to trace and add data
from that imagery even if he/she has not been to the place than if I
were to actually visit that place and add details from on the ground.