On 11-Jan-2011 15:51, Richard Mann wrote:
On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 1:18 PM, Asztalos Attila
<attila.aszta...@gmail.com>  wrote:
As far as I can tell neither the mapnik nor the osmarender basemap displays
surface information/modifiers (ie. if a tag like surface=unpaved or similar
is present).
Is it public access, or is it owned privately? I ask because there is
a strong correlation between public roads and decent maintenance where
I come from. And as it happens, Mapnik does show access=private.
It's a fairly ordinary public road, yes. As I mentioned, I can fully appreciate how this sort of issue might not be widespread in more advanced regions of the world, but we're talking Eastern Europe in this instance - maintenance standards vary greatly depending on lots of factors, and yes, simple city streets might stay unpaved for ages (I'm not talking about the main streets obviously, nor say that this is the norm - just that it can and does happen here and there). It is not uncommon at all to have a public street - in a probably peripheral location and/or with a rather low traffic - otherwise part of the city, with houses on it, but without pavement (=gravel or just dirt) which one would rather avoid driving on, if only one could plainly see this fact.

(the general problem with rendering surface is that there's a lot of
values and you will find it very hard to render without always having
to look for a key to tell you what the colour/shading means). Which is
not to say that knowing which roads are cobbled wouldn't be handy
sometimes (but I probably think of this as something you need to
render for yourself (cue ad for Maperitive...))

Richard
I certainly see the merit of the argument "the data is in there, nobody stops you from using it", but the fact is that even a lot of the other OSM-data-using map sites use the default mapnik and osmarender basemaps, using overlays only for their custom purposes - and lots of less-capable navigation software outright uses the OSM tiles, end of story. Using any of these unfortunately puts one in the unpleasant situation outlined above. I know about Maperitive, and I actually use it to see the map with localized, non-default names, but I can't use it for quick lookups (generates for ages) or navigation with my mobile - in everyday practice, de facto all I ever see is the good ole' default tileset.... :)

As for the rendering - I'm not sure I would care enough to discern all (or most) possible surface types; it would suffice to realize that a road suddenly loses the quality of being paved - "take that route at your own peril". This shouldn't be hard to implement, whether by hashing or darkening the road color, or other means, I think.

   - Max