A common settlement pattern in the USA, in rural communities that have mostly
or entirely developed since the invention of the automobile, is to have houses
and small businesses strung out along a highway.  You end up with a community
that can be several miles long, and yet only a hundred feet or so wide.  If the
community was started prior to the automobile, it may have a small portion laid
out as a grid or loose mesh of streets, with the oldest structures there.  The
linear portions are where a farmer sold the land immediately adjacent to the
highway, for house construction, but continued to farm on the rest of his land.
 The non-farmers are likely to commute to jobs in another, larger community
nearby.