Hi. I am a bachelor in cartographer and surveying.

My MAIN interest in OpenStreetMap is not about maps. It is not about "free
data". It is about the effect of us, the community, as a big potential crowd
of data collectors on the quality of geodata within OpenStreetMap database.
I have this philosophy that once the community gets big and active enough,
OpenStreetMap data quality will outrank that of professional companies.

There is no such thing as an exact location. Even the best surveying
equipment will still only be able to make an estimate! GPS and surveying is
about errors[1], about knowing error vectors and about using them to
determine the best estimates.

In GPS there is so much to take into account: Atmospherical conditions,

Enhancing GPS with ground stations is called differential GPS[2] and is used
to get a better estimate of the errors in order to get higher accuracy and a
better estimate of the location you are trying to determine.

Surveying is a skill. It is a profession that requires mathematical
knowledge and algorithms of the highest degree.

OpenStreetMap introduces something new (not now, but in the future): If a
lot of people are collecting location data, these people will form a "wise
crowd"[3]. They introduce errors but since the error vectors will not be
homogeneous, will be able to be used to determine the best estimate too.
Maybe even better then professional surveying equipment can.

surveying problems involve the solution of large meshes of triangles, with
hundreds or even thousands of observations. Complex triangulation problems
involving real-world observations with errors require the solution of large
systems of simultaneous equations to generate solutions.[4]

Hope I shed some light.

Kind regards,

Milo van der Linden

[1] http://www.kowoma.de/en/gps/errors.htm