From: dipie...@gmail.com [mailto:dipie...@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Anthony
Sent: February 10, 2011 8:20
To: Hillsman, Edward
Cc: talk@openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] collateral damage (was: What the license change is
going to do to the map)

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 8:10 AM, Hillsman, Edward <hills...@cutr.usf.edu> wrote:
> I have mapped in one of the affected areas. Some of my work there pre-dates
> Anthony's. He modified it, and I am guessing that this is why some of my
> work was also deleted. As an example, on September 5, 2009, I added
> Carrollwood Bicycle Emporium (484675555), a bicycle shop, to a shopping
> center. On October 12, Anthony added an address to this bicycle shop. The
> removal of his data yesterday  removed the shop completely, instead of
> simply taking it back to my original contribution (location, name, shop tag,
> but no address tags). If this is the way that the data removal will be
> handled for contributors who do not accept the new license, then it's going
> to cascade quite a bit farther than intended, and it is probably going to
> make a lot of contributors who DO accept the new license terms pretty
> unhappy. So, I would strongly encourage that any future deletions be handled
> with greater sensitivity than this one was.

I find it hard to see how future deletions cannot be handled with
anything more than *less* sensitivity than this one.

Maybe you could get the same level of sensitivity, if you delete just
one user's contribution per week.  But that would take about 1,500
years to accomplish.

> I will go back and restore my work on this shop manually, but I wanted to
> bring this occurrence into the discussion before doing so. I haven't checked
> yet for what else was lost, but because my interest is in cycling, I
> immediately noticed the bicycle shop was missing.

Here's what happened.  Grand plaza was mapped as one single building.
I deleted that one building in order to map it as 3 separate
buildings, because that's essentially what it is (3 buildings, with a
shared roof/awning/whatever).  So when the reversion took place, the 3
buildings were deleted completely).

In any case, I'm sorry this happened to you.  I'd gladly help you fix
it, but I'm currently blocked from editing with my main account, and
if I edited it with one of my other accounts they would quickly get
discovered.