Hello Dermot and Steve,

Perhaps one solution would be to make a tool that downloads a few
reference tiles in the target area and then store the MD5 signatures.
Subsequent runs of the tool will check the hashes and generate beeps,
emails or tweets asking a human to check the offsets. And the tool
should be easy to write because it can work on either the compressed
images or a screen capture of an editor.

Regards,
Nic