Am 17.04.2011 10:17, schrieb Ed Avis:
> andrzej zaborowski <balrogg <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I know a relatively big project that's currently using OSM data under
>> CC-By-SA and may be in a nasty surprise when they find OSM is no
>> longer suitable.
>
> Fortunately, there is an easy way to fix this: keep CC-BY-SA available as an
> option in addition to ODbL.

That's precisely what's going to happen, with or without license change.
The only difference being that the CC-By-SA version not being updated by
official OSM anymore.

No data will be lost to the world.

Some data will be lost to the ODbL OSM should the change go through (and
to me it looks like it will).

But the ODbL will enable more users to use OSM data without so much
legal hassle.

The optimum in my opinion would be to go entirely PD/CC0 as it would
enable maximum use of OSM data (as in our projects mission statement),
and the protection would come from fast updates and large community
workpower.

So I accepted the new CT, and the new license by declaring my edits to
be in the Public Domain, and I can only encourage you and everyone else
to do the same, because that is the only sane way forward for the
project, even if we have to remap parts of the world we can't take with us.

I'm not taking that lightly, especially like it is in the case of
Australia, but there are multiple ways for Australians out of this,
including, but by no means limited to, a judicial process. (Have someone
copy a small amount of user generated CC-By-SA-Map to PD Project and set
a precedent in Court, I'm almost certain you'd get money from the OSMF
legal fund to get that cleared.)
--

Dirk-Lüder "Deelkar" Kreie
Bremen - 53.0901°N 8.7868°E