On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 11:29 AM, Nic Roets <nro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm much more worried about the effects of a fork. If we spend time
> updating a number of forks, it will detract from time that we could
> have spent mapping.
>
> It's much better if we a democratic process and settle the license one
> and for all. If joining the OSMF is a requirement to vote, then so be
> it. It's only 25 bucks.

Hi,
I think the time building the tools to support forks is worth while. For
one, we need the tools to allow people to build and host local maps without
asking a committee for permission.
Second we need to allow for multiple layers, multiple database and mutiple
license in osm, not a single monolithic data structure and server.

Tools are needed to allow for better merging and comparison of layers,
checking licenses and all that. I see alot of development work as needed to
reach this goal.

The code is the law,
http://www.lessig.org/content/standard/0,1902,4165,00.html and we need to
change the code so that these discussions about licensing and all that are
less important.

Today I have gotten my first version of the renderbotnet server running over
ipv6 and you are all welcome to attach a worker process to it.. It is not
rendering right now, but the basic connections are running, all without a
central server, using ipv6 so you dont need any nat/firewall rules. See my
blogpost
http://osmopenlayers.blogspot.com/2011/06/get-started-with-renderbot-net.htmland
my mail to osmfork
http://groups.google.com/group/osm-fork/browse_thread/thread/c623807cd72402a6

We need to get enough CPUs in the renderbotnet connected and then we can use
that to share cpus for doing rendering and data processing tasks. Also
sharing of edits and chages should be possible using a xmpp chat protocol so
that you can either use a modified josm that talks to the botnet or host a
local api server that broadcasts your changes on the net.

In any case, I see that in the next years we will have a nice solution, and
it will be worth the effort.

mike