Actually all browsers work like this - they have UI and JS running in the
same thread, so you can't do anything while a tile is rendered. I've split
the process to 3 chunks (styling, map rendering and text rendering) to make
the UI a little more responsive, but generally this can't be addressed well
at the moment. I'm hoping that browsers will implement the ability to
manipulate Canvas in a Web Worker sometime so rendering is in a separate
thread.

--
Vladimir Agafonkin
Front-End Architect, CloudMade