In the UK, we don't really have a concept of a cycle-only path -
they're pretty much all shared with pedestrians.

So we tend to stick with highway=cycleway if bikes are significant /
obviously catered for, and highway=footway + bicycle=yes|permissive if
it's really a bit poor, but bikes seem to be using it with no
objection. highway=path is mostly used for worn tracks across grass or
out in the countryside.

The wiki is only as good as the last person who edited it.

{So my advice is use whichever and don't fret about it unless there's
some important distinction you want to make - and then you'd probably
be better off inventing a brand new key for that important
distinction, so that people don't mess it up}