Am 03.08.2011 02:34, Lester Caine:
Tom Hughes wrote:
Nobody has setup a system to reuse anything.

All you are seeing there is the result of badly written programs and the
like doing perfectly normal REST writes to node 1. When such mistakes
are made people revert them. Shit happens, and we deal with it.

How exactly do you suggest that we "disable that corruption"?

I just started at '1' to see how good things were, and a few of the
nodes I then worked through showed questionable changes ...
Actually it's interesting looking at some of the raw history. There are
a block below 1400, many of which are original nodes, but some seem to
have these strange edits, then there is a jump to 77858, which I presume
was a hick-up somewhere along the line very early on, except that the
1300 series nodes post date 77858, so something is/was going wrong
somewhere? Some of these early node numbers have been edited earlier
this year ...

"Shit happens, and we deal with it." still has the problem of
identifying where the shit has happened and working out how to deal with
it.

You are probably aware that version numbers were added in 2009 with the API 0.6 change [1]. So judging from the changedate the low number anomalies you have discovered are probably related to those early testing and fixing phase.

Claudius

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/API_changes_between_v0.5_and_v0.6