It's typical for American highways' "rush lanes" to have a number of lift
gates in a row. As Nathan noted, the gates are to lanes that are one way to
one direction in the morning and another in the evening -- and that are in
the middle of the road.
The greater number of gates serve the purpose of pointing out even to the
most asleep SUV driver that they are hitting something that they are not
supposed to when trying to go against the flow.
It's obviously also a good thing for the gate manufacturers, so I wouldn't
be surprised if they had lobbied for the "standard" ;)

Cheers,
-Jaakko