Thanks for the advice. The Bing image does appear to be spot on. I have started having a tidy up and will continue when I can. Most of the GPS tracks will be from me in that area. Unfortunately I only travel a few routes for my work. I am moving on to another city now, so I will see what has happened there.

Dave

SomeoneElse wrote:
Dave Stanley wrote:
I don't know if it is from an import or just careless editing. Have a look at:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=22.32989&lon=91.80766&zoom=15&layers=M

At first glance it looks like editing rather than an import, and the people doing the editing look like they're relatively new (start 2011) and local to Chittagong (if not local to that corner of it - there are relatively few GPS traces underneath your link, and the Bing imagery isn't of the highest quality, so the lack of map quality isn't too surprising).

A couple of thoughts:

1) I guess that you've got no EGNOS or equivalent, but have you been able to figure out if the Bing layer is aligned decently? The relatively few traces on the major road at the northwest corner of your picture suggest that it probably is OK, but more traces would surely help people to figure out where roads connect where it's not too clear from Bing.

2) It does look like the people doing the mapping are pretty new to the game, so it might be worth trying to introduce them to this list, the newbies list and the help site. There's a talk-bd list, but not much on it. However...

3) Maybe have a chat with this chap:

http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-bd/2011-June/000032.html

who seems to be organising some student mapping in Chittagong?

Cheers,
Andy