Am 30.12.2011 17:22, schrieb Thomas Davie:
You've not been misled, you've misread.
I don't think he has.

I think, we have to find a way in between.
I already mentioned my vision to provide a VIEW on the DATA, that the user can define himself.

In that vision, OSM is not about maps. OSM is about the data, and the user (not necessarily mapper) would add the map on top - in providing his own stylesheet.

Again: that's a vision, and probably somebody or even I myself would try to implement that: to change a front page of the project to a view of map data - which can be styles by the user on demand.

Nevertheless: The good ideas don't come from users who add two points ("my home" and "my work") and then repeatingly view the nice map. The good ideas and benefits for the project come from people who do something with the data: Extending the data itself (mapping) or using the data in a new fashion, like many projects show: quizzes generated from osm data, routing applications, new styled maps and many more. Of course these ideas support the project - but I think, they do it the same way like LibreOffice and Mozilla support ubuntu or debian - without being part of the distributor or distribution project.

regards
Peter