Hello.

 OSM has already been proved as the ultimate tool for collaborative mapping.

 Is there a way someone could use the same platform to work on private mapping
colaboration projects ?

 To explain myself better: In the wiki case, you can download the MediaWiki
software, install it on your server and run your own private wiki for
gathering, assembling and organizing information within your workgroup.

 Is there a way to do the same with the OSM software ?

 I just joined and NGO that works with volunteers from all over the world and
it would be really great for us if we could use the OSM system to create our
own maps and discuss about it.

 Of course we could do it directly on the OSM database, but as we are in an
experimental phase, we would be "messing up" the OSM database.
 Once our maps are concluded, we could then insert the relevant parts of our
work on OSM.

 skualos