>>> 1. I think that the discussion with community should be much earlier,
>>> probably right after you have found some data. Is it really useful data, if
>>> not then do not waste your time with all these technical preparations. With
>>> this flow you expect that there is default go-ahead for import, but every
>>> import should be well justified.
>>
>> If you stupid enough to not find difference between good and bad data
>> yourself you deserve wasting your time on writing tools. Arrows to
>> "discuss" go from almost all steps.

Ich apologize for using bad english. Not "you" as Jaak. "You" as
person willing to import. I did not ment to offend you.

>> Some maps can be in ugly format like FreeHand. Community will say "no
>> not import that ist shit".
>> But you can do nice clean up before. And community says "nice job, do
>> import".
>
>  You do not decide imports based on source data technical format. Initial key
> question there could be: can the community really maintain the data after
> import, also do we get extra value from it or it is just nicer map image with
> poorer and poorer editing experience. For example we can have nation-wide
> cadastre data with good quality and format, but we do not import it. If you
> import streets of a city which does not have any map otherwise, then it is
> different case.

This ist not written in import guide lines now. I not feel it ist right to add.

Ich seen a not uploaded import of buildings traced by some clever
software. Major reason community rejected it ist "shape ist not gut".
Imorter should make data look nice before announcing to community.

>>> 2. Also, please have two branches: one leads to "Upload to OSM" , and
>>> another "share data" as .osm files without uploading, so manual
>>> copypasting/merging can be done by community. IMHO this should be often
>>> default and preferred option.
>>
>> Current import guide lines disagree with you. Ich also disagree with
>> you. "Import" ist when data goes to database, not to some random FTP.
>
> Right, technically it is not importing. It is using/sharing data without
> importing, soft import or manual import or whatever you like to call it. This
> can be done quite safely without much community involvement, just post the
> URL to local list explaining what data it.

It ist not importing, but it ist a large part of it. It should be not
on import guide lines. Import guide lines should only cover actual
imports.

>> You can also draw better import guide lines too. It ist easy.

> Btw, why you ask for comments if you cannot really take them?

Ich take them. You can see I redrawed image already. But not in major
way that differs a lot from current guide lines.

--
WorstFixer, twitter: http://twitter.com/WorstFixer