2012/9/28 Lester Caine <les...@lsces.co.uk>:
> Pieren wrote:
>>
>> - attribution lost in data extracts, planet (separate file for changesets)
>
> ACTUALLY that is probably the killer?
> Local working with truncated extracts SHOULD still report this type of data?

come on, I think you are overexxagerating this. Have a look how apple
handles attribution. They distribute a big blob and a separate (hard
to find) text file that says: contains data of a, b, c, ...., z, aa,
bb, cc, ..., zz, aaa, bbb, ........
They don't even tell you where they use which data source. ;-)

I am not advocating to act accordingly, but saying that in every data
extract there must be full history (that is also attribution, to see
who edited the stuff), or changeset information, or source-tags , or a
source-tag on every single object might not be necessary. IMHO you
also retain attribution if you say: data from openstreetmap.org and on
openstreetmap.org you get all the necessary attribution info (e.g. in
the wiki, from the API with changeset-comments, etc.).

It was already in the past like this: someone who imports stuff with
osm2pgsql almost never retains this information (as long as he works
with the standard style file).

Cheers,
Martin