My understanding is that the source=* tag is for mappers and cannot be
relied upon to provide attribution or for meeting a legal requirement.
Nothing in the OSM license prohibits a data consumer from removing tags and
redistributing the data - if they can't do this with the cadastre data, is
the license compatible?

Several programs (e.g. osm2pgsql) strip the source tag when processing data.
What is left in many cases is cadastre geometry which is often the same as
the geometry the importer downloaded and imported without changes.