Hi,

According to : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derivative_work

"In United States copyright law, a derivative work is an expressive creation
that includes major, copyright-protected elements of an original, previously
created first work (theunderlying work)."

Obviously looking at google street view images and noting some facts we can see
in them like street names,... can't be seen as derivative work.

And :

"
When does derivative-work copyright exist?
For copyright protection to attach to a later, allegedly derivative work, it
must display some originality of its own. It cannot be a rote, uncreative
variation on the earlier, underlying work. The latter work must contain
sufficient new expression, over and above that embodied in the earlier work for
the latter work to satisfy copyright law’s requirement of originality.
"

It's clear that Google's photos in street view have no originality at all, they
are just facts. Using some information everybody can see in those images isn't
a creative process either.

In the light of those definitions of derivative work, I can't understand how
one might see a infringement of google terms of use when OSM contributors look
at Google Street View photos to verify some facts (street names, signs, ...)

Regards,
Vlad.