2013/1/7 Paweł Paprota <ppa...@fastmail.fm>:
> Hello Clifford,
>
> Very interesting e-mail. It seems that as the project grows, there is
> more and more people feeling like there should be some kind of "next
> level" that OSM as a project and community should reach. I agree with that.

OSM growth is there: +80% accounts in one year (we had half a million
back in Nov. 2011, and reached the million this week-end).

I've gathered a few statistics for France for 2012... and the growth
of data is also high, around +34% more highways of all kinds with a
rate of more than 1000km added daily.

Hardware needs to follow the growth of data and use of data (tiles) as
well as human resources too...

The failure of a couple of servers this week-end also showed that we
currently have too many single point of failure in our architecture
(one is too many).

Yes funding is an important question. Asking for donation for some
hardware from time to time will not allow to do much.

--
Christian Quest - OpenStreetMap France - http://openstreetmap.fr/u/cquest