On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 6:06 PM, Paweł Paprota <ppa...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>> (...)
>

> What you describe sounds good in theory ("ecosystem") but in practice it
> does not work that way. You can't just pick and choose some cool
> projects and integrate them into the main site.

it's possible - and it's been done several times in the past. that's
not to say it's easy, or that no code needs to be written for such
integration, but it does work that way.

> Software (in particular,
> open source software) is not a puzzle that can be easily thrown together
> and create something bigger than one piece.

i agree - it's not easy. not with any kind of software that hasn't
been written with that specific purpose in mind.

> Look at distro packaging people - there is tremendous amount of work
> going into delivering upstream projects to actual users at the end. Look
> at all the glue between all components (like D-Bus, systemd etc) that is
> needed for a fully working system.
>
> Now take this Linux methaphor and apply it to OSM and its main website.
> In my time that I spent following Rails Port and in general main website
> development (about 6 months) I have seen 2 maybe 3 people writing major
> pieces of code for Rails Port, some of those pieces have been rejected
> from merging for various reasons.

i, and i hope everyone else too, applaud those people for their
efforts. however, as every maintainer learns, it's a difficult
balancing act to merge new features while keeping quality high - which
sometimes means that some things don't get merged first time. i'm
certain that this happens in the linux kernel too, and it's happened
to me in the rails_port: i took the feedback, improved my code and
re-submitted.

> All I'm saying that it's not as easy as you make it sound and pursuing
> funding for improving the main website is a viable thing to do,

hard to tell who made it sound easy, as the quoted post is missing,
and i wouldn't say that anything involving production software is
every truly easy.

> otherwise we will have to keep waiting X years or maybe forever for some
> of the more complex pieces to be fit into the puzzle.

i think we can be more optimistic than that - we're all trying to
improve OSM, so rather than endlessly discussing all the negative
things, perhaps we could get back to doing what we enjoy: writing code
/ mapping / etc...

cheers,

matt