>It sounds like some programmer forgot to allow for the fact that we live
in a three-dimensional world.

No, no. The nodes hadn't been properly unglued and hence the fixing tool
flagged the ways as "duplicate". I'm going to restore the way but make sure
the nodes are not shared (connected) this time. It shouldn't then appear in
any fixer tool.

It was a case of my poor mapping being flagged as erroneous, then another
mapping "fixing it" with more erroneous mapping! Always helps to ask people
and discuss things on this mailing list - I certainly won't make the
mistake again.

Thanks everybody who has helped on this one :-)

Rob