It seems that the desire to use a huge image as the background comes at the
expense of the page content. To me a copyright page is about getting the
*details* over. By placing too much emphasis on the image the copyright
page appears like a *brand* or some fancy press release. We have other
pages that can be used for that. :-)

By the way, who gets to pick the images used on the copyright page? What if
USA Today want to use a different image that better aligns with their brand?

Regards,
Rob

p.s. Attribution mark is much better, though I share the concerns about
using "by".
p.p.s By *details* I mean the legal jargon, plus a message that says "hey
you can get involved too". I don't think an image alone does this.