Stefan Keller wrote:
Actually, I'd like to hear the opinions of those website admins who
really are affected by spam registrations (see subject).
For those who hate CAPTCHAs please provide alternative solutions.
Whitelists or bayesian filter are not among them.

Hi. In some cases captchas are good, but mostly their presence shows that admins/moderators in a project are lazy and don't value users' time. It's quite easy to repel bots with other means. I maintained an open guestbook that had seen only a couple of bots a month (without captcha), and shtosm.ru (the Russian OSM blog) has not seen a single spammer in two years, though it doesn't require registration or reading mangled words for commenting. After captcha was removed from the OSM wiki (it was shown for users who added new external links in pages), I doubt it started receiving noticeably more spam than before.

IZ