On 23.05.2013 08:01, Andrew Errington wrote:
> On the main map at osm.org <http://osm.org> there is a 'permalink'
> hyperlink, which generates a URL encoding the current view of the map.
> It is easy to change this into a marker link by editing the URL and
> changing "lat" and "lon" to "mlat" and "mlon".

I fully agree that we need a better solution; I often have to explain
how it is done (the last time was on Tuesday) and it's not user-friendly
at all.

However, I think that it may be a better idea to combine this with the
upcoming implementation for clickable POI. As the prototype at [1] would
allow the user to click anywhere on the map (not just on "POI"), we
could add a "share this location" link at the bottom of that balloon.
This could then produce a permalink with marker at the click location.

I think that such a solution would make it easer to "aim" the marker and
would also generally integrate better with these upcoming features.

Tobias

[1] http://overpass.apis.dev.openstreetmap.org/