Am 25.05.2013 13:09, schrieb Maarten Deen:
> On 2013-05-25 12:19, pec...@gmail.com wrote:
>> For those who are still naive to think that journalists find out
>> these things themselves: Google has huge amount of money to waste on
>> PR. If last two years is evidence everyone is happy to advertise "new
>> stuff" of their maps, because it's very easy for people to relate to.
>
> Of course, "money spent" in Google terms is "effort" in OSM terms,
> since we all contribute to OSM without getting paid (ok, some are
> fortunate enough that someone actually pays them to work on OSM, but
> most of us are not in that position).
>
>> I don't see how OSM would want to play this game. We don't see logic
>> in this. However, this make PR work.
>
> Apparently there are people who think it is important. Why would we
> not want to improve on OSM by getting it know to the public? OSM
> starts to have a huge benefit for people. I can't download the maps
> for my navigation from Google, I get them from OSM. I certainly
> benefit from having a more complete Openstreetmap.

I don't think there is any active opposition against making OSM more
popular :-).

The question is more does it make any sense to try engage in
one-upmanship with google. It is just unlikely that we can win at their
own game, we have neither their resources nor can we easily make the
media so dependent on us as they are on google.

I believe it makes more sense to rely on word of mouth and to employ
guerilla marketing tactics to get the word out than sending out press
releases (we could try for a while to see if it makes difference
naturally).  However, as has already been said, what we really need
right now is less theorizing on talk and more hands in the CWG.

Simon