On Sunday 30 June 2013, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> I have updated these tiles with current data. (I had somehow lost the
> code that produced the tiles and had to reverse engineer my way back
> from the old tiles... the year-old tiles are still available from the
> layer switcher.)

Hello Fred,

what method did you use for resizing the tiles?  It seems to be
different in the new and the old tiles emphasizing the line features
now.

Since the tiles darken as you zoom out you are probably resizing in
gamma corrected color space which is not such a good idea (for example
Labrador is dissolving into the ocean as you zoom out).

A good starting point for resizing techniques in general is:

http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/resize/

And when rendering the various area features at z=9 it would probably be
best to turn off the area patterns like on the glaciers which just
result in artefacts when scaling down.

Greetings,

--
Christoph Hormann