Tom MacWright wrote:
John Firebaugh just wrote up a post that's useful in light of the conversations
we've been having about changes to OSM and how they're organized:

http://www.mapbox.com/osmdev/2013/07/19/implementing-osm-vision/

Hopefully this story from the video to wireframes, to thought, and finally to
the actual code and pull requests we're working on, will help to clarify what
we[1]'re interested in working on and why.

I'd like to refresh a suggestion that I made which I think may have got lost in the discussions. The current top level debate is - I think - should a map be the 'initial point of contact'. I'm coming down nowadays on that answer being 'no' since promoting a SINGLE view of the project data does now seem wrong? There are perhaps more views out there than we realise, and so promoting diversity seems rather appropriate. The original thought that I suggested was moving the map to map.openstreetmap.org and I'd enhance that with transport.xx and perhaps even foot.xx so that a number of default views are available.

Then the main front page concentrates on providing better links to the diverse range of uses, and more important, better linking through to 'local groups' and local translated views of the data? Personally I only need an English view of the map, but I am concious how difficult it is to navigate to even well supported forks such as the French and German views. Finding other languages is currently not supported at all well, and that would link in with promoting data capture beyond the 'English speaking' core?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL