Am 22.09.2013 04:14, schrieb Eugene Alvin Villar:

> I agree that this is a good way of tagging multipolygons.
>
> Unfortunately, many people don't tag multipolygons in this way. I've seen
> people add building=yes to an outer way of a building with holes even
> though there's a multipolygon relation with that tag already. It's most
> likely that these people are not familiar with relations and they see an
> outer way with no building=yes tag and decided to "helpfully" tag it.
>
> Because of this, a more complicated interpretation of tags, such as
> Frederik's, leads to less breakage (think rendering) and is more in line
> with people's expectations.

Because of this I agree with Frederiks approach for any "consumer"-map
to produce. If I would print a map for a customer, I would follow his
assumptions most probably, but I disagree for the "default" style(s) on
the osm.org website, as these in fact are driving factors to how people tag.
If people tag multipolygons right (tm), this should be honoured by a
correct display on the map. If it's wrong they should see that there's
an error, therefore IMHO the default stylesheet MUST NOT gracefully
forgive these errors as a map more dedicated to end users would probably do.

Following these assumptions on the main map which is often used to check
the correctness of the own edits means to hide errors and to tell
mappers the wrong thing: you have done all right - where that's not the
case.

regards
Peter