On Nov 9, 2013 5:39 PM, "Jochen Topf" <joc...@remote.org> wrote;
> On Sat, Nov 09, 2013 at 03:25:35PM +0000, Rob Nickerson wrote:
> > Perhaps some way of tracking our data consumers would be useful. Or
maybe
> > we need a way for them to say which tags they are interested in so that
> > they can receive mail just about these.

> That's the wrong way around. If you are using OSM data it is your job to
keep
> abreast of developments in OSM. A volunteer project like OSM can't keep
track
> of all their "customers" the way a commercial company might. That's not to
> say that we should change things willy-nilly, we should announce changes
> beforehand etc. But we do that on our mailing lists etc. And yes, that
puts
> a lot of burden on the users of OSM data, but they get it for free, so
there.

At the moment it is indeed not that easy for data consumers to keep track
of changes. The tagging mailing list had quite high traffic, and most posts
there are not directly relevant for data consumers.

I have been thinking about how we can improve this situation. Would it be
an idea to create a separate mailing list that just serves to announce
changes in the tagging scheme? That way we can separate the discussion on
creating tagging schemes (which data consumers can ignore if they wish)
from the announcements of new schemes.

Typically changes correspond to accepted proposals on the tagging mailing
list. We could add to the procedure of proposing tags that the proposer
should make an announcement to this list when hits proposal is accepted.

-- Matthijs