On 2013-11-30 13:51, Rob Nickerson wrote:
How do I close the "Welcome to openstreetmap" box on the new map
page?

[snip]
On the subject of the "Welcome Text", the idea of being able to close
the welcome box was discussed but ultimately not implemented. The box
does go away if you log in. I should add that the decision to not be
able to close the welcome box for non-logged in users was a design
choice by the main developer of this redesign (that is it may not
reflect the opinion of other OSM community members, system admins, or
developers). This means that you are welcome to submit a change to the
website's code if you wish and it will be considered as with all other
changes.

I appreciate that this may not be what you wanted to hear, but as with
any big change, there is likely to be a few teething issues.

Yeah. This is a bad decision. That means that non-logged in users (which is any user that does not have an account, and that would be the majority of the users of the map page, if it is successful) will be bothered by this box all the time. I do have an account but I am not logged in most of the time. Why? When I'm not working at my computer, I'm not logged in. And when I'm working at my computer, after x days I'm not logged in (you may be aware that you get logged out after a certain number of days, even when you check the box "remember me". Apparently openstreetmap don't want to remember me.)

So yes: this is a bad decision and I can only ask to make something that you can close this box ASAP.

Just out of curiosity: what reasoning was there behind leaving something like this on on the map? Cleary the whole redesing is geared to unclutter the map page, and it does succeed in that. Then why have this annoying box there?

Regards,
Maarten