On 2 December 2013 13:54, Lester Caine <les...@lsces.co.uk> wrote:

>> http://open.mapquest.co.uk/
>>
>> ? That is a site for "end users" of OSM created maps.
>>
>> In many ways OSM is a data provider, it doesnt have the resources to
>> create website for end users (as such).
>

> Now I've now found the 'html' option on the OSM map, and along with the link
> and short link these target the same map. Simply replacing the URL with the
> mapquest one does not provide a working link,

Why should it, they are different sites. MapQuest has their own embed option.

> and in any case the rendering
> of roads in this area is simply wrong ...

Good excuse to badger MapQuest to update their rendering!

If you direct more users at MapQuest, they will have more incentive to
update it :)

> If a service is not going to be provided then it should not be prominent on
> the front page?

The feature is to embed the map as seen on the OSM page. Which it does.

You seem to be wanting to use it for a different purpose.

> In any case, the embeded map is provided via OSM and so
> maintaining a compatible rendering in the follow on link is important,

You seem to be giving mixed signals what you expect this 'follow on
link' to be 'for'.

Is it for users to find out more about OSM? For users wanting to get
directions to the location shown on the map?

They are very different use cases.

> switching to one with a different style on another site seems wrong? If we
> were providing these pages ourselves then we would still be using the OSM
> tile server?

As long as adear to the usage Policy, then you could
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tile_usage_policy

>  I got around 50% of the way through rendering my own set -
> after 7 days - but the tiles were already well out of date :(

Nobody said it would be easy.