On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 12:41 PM, Kathleen Danielson
<kathleen.daniel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> Can you provide some compelling examples of images that you'd like to see us
> using instead?

It isn't easy is it?  No rendering will satisfy everyone, and even a
collection of renderings will miss out on representing OpenStreetMap
in all of our glory.

I won't get into offering draft images, that isn't my thing.  I'll
leave that to the pixel pros.  But here are some thoughts:

- do we need an image?  An heretical idea, I know.  I'm not mocking
those who love pictures.  But how important is it to have a mosaic of
renderings on the about page?

- rather than a rendering or mosaic of renderings, how about a
more-human image?  Something with people in it? Yes, "model releases",
and a list of other concerns.  Back in the dawn of time, CloudMade had
a banner image with a person holding a GPS, suggesting that a human
doing a site survey is important.  Seems that image is gone now?

- what about an image that suggests a solution that OpenStreetMap
provides or enables?  Ideally, an image that demonstrates that Open
Data and Local Geo-genius can improve your day or save your life.
Open Data allows you to serve an audience that might not be otherwise
commercially viable to serve. I'll leave the composition of that image
as an exercise for the reader.

So, yeah.  Not easy.