Thank for those details Philip.

How would you call things like that ?
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:French_gas_delivery_point.jpg

I would looking for the most general term to add it to man_made and then
qualify its nature with a second tag like street_cabinet=*
Thirdly, domain-specific tags would do the trick to eventually give details
about what is hosted in the cabinet

For electricity, we do have power=cable_distribution_cabinet but IMHO it's
definitely to specific.
It would be replaced by man_made=street_cabinet +
street_cabinet=power_distribution (+ operator=* + ref=* if applicable)

And obviously there are traffic control, road lights and all other public
facilities.
In France, we have kind of postal boxes where a postal service employee
deposits letters as for allowing a second person to distribute them later.
https://www.google.fr/maps/preview/@48.127418,-1.640277,3a,19y,262.9h,69.34t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s7fn6hRmeXM84TL5rvHcjbg!2e0

*François Lacombe*

http://www.infos-reseaux.com