On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 6:42 PM, Dave F. <dave...@madasafish.com> wrote:

> I'm not convinced this is usually true. It maybe UK specific, but
> municipal boundaries were more likely to originally be placed on physical
> boundaries to farms & estates such as walls, fences etc. before
> tracks/roads were developed. Roads subsequently evolved along those
> boundaries afterwards.
>
> It would be pretty silly to have a municiple boundary splitting the centre
> of a road so different administrations were responsible for maintaining the
> left & the right.

This is usually true in my country. For example, here's the legal
definition of a district in the capital Manila:

Malate. - Beginning at the intersection of west face of the sea wall on
> Dewey Boulevard and the center line of Calle Cuarteles; thence along the
> center line of Calle Cuarteles, M. H. del Pilar and Herran, and Esteros de
> Paco, and Tripa de Gallina, to the city boundary line; thence westerly
> along said boundary line to high-water line on Manila Bay; and thence
> northerly along said high-water line and the west face of said sea wall to
> the point of beginning.[1]

Hence, the relation for the Malate district[2] contains rivers and roads
(and coastlines) as members.

[1]
http://philippinelaw.info/statutes/ra409-revised-charter-of-the-city-of-manila.html
[2] http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/103704