Am 09.03.2014 12:11, schrieb Dave F.:
> Prompted by the discussion on the Layer tag I've just noticed
> there's two separate pages for it: 'Layer' & 'Key:Layer'

The page "Layer" is just a (wordy) disambiguation page because "layer"
means so many different things in OSM.

> What's the reason for the 'Key:' prefix? IMO it can only lead to
> confusion.

This is the standard naming convention for all pages documenting a
key, just like there is a 'Tag:' prefix for all tags. The convention
has been there almost forever. It helps to easily tell whether
something is or isn't tagging documentation and prevents naming
conflicts when the word being used as a key also has a different
meaning outside tagging.

Anyway, I don't think many will be confused by having the word "Key"
in the title of a page that documents the meaning of a key.

> Haven't checked all, but Landuse & Natural each have separate
> entries in the wiki.

*These* are the newcomers. Those pages used to be only a redirect to
the Key pages, to help people who didn't know the naming conventions
find them. But then someone had the idea of creating "feature"[1]
pages with a high-level overview of certain concepts.

While that is useful where the tags related to a concept were spread
across many pages, a lot of them are indeed redundant because they 1:1
correspond to a key, so their content could just be on the Key:* page.

Tobias

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:Features