On 28/08/2014 13:25, Andy Mabbett wrote:
I'm not anticipating many changes; this "import" gives a leg-up to a
human process.

(as has been mentioned before) wikidata may not change, but OSM data surely does. If I split a way that has a wikidata tag, how do I know which of the two resulting elements should have the wikidata tag?

Another issue is with "dodgy data" on either the OSM or the
wikidata side. I've already mentioned "non-existing villages"
in wikipedia, but there are also examples where the OSM
side's iffy too, which could result in a false match.
I addressed that in a earlier email

I can only find is you saying "That sounds much like an edge case" in https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2014-August/070635.html , which doesn't sound like addressing the issue at all. If that wasn't it would it be possible to provide a link?

I think the issues raised have been addressed; which do
you feel have not been?
Specifally, comments such as "In my opinion, the risks of
doing this automatically are just too high", "+1 to not import
blindly but require human confirmation" and "that's why I
was asking how you proposed to measure it" in those
threads.
The former pair are vague hand-waving; more specific points have been
addressed, which covered such things (and there is no plan for "blind"
importing). The latter was also addressed.

I'd disagree that the first two are "mere hand-waving". They sound like genuine mappers' opinions, perhaps based on previous imports. The only addressing of the third point I could see was in https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/2014-June/016113.html on talk-GB..

As I said before, I'm fairly agnostic about wikidata being in OSM (though concerned that it might just get dumped in with no verifiability and no plan for maintenance). However, what's being proposed is a worldwide import, and any "addressing of issues" needs to be done here rather than on a local list that won't have been read by most people affected.

Cheers,

Andy