On 05.11.2014 12:23, Serge Wroclawski wrote:
> Olekisy,
> for me, it's not the alcohol per se, but the whole bar/beer culture.
> It's not that if you provide some beverages, I'm more willing to go,
> it's that being in a loud, crowded place is quite literally painful,
> and so while I will tolerate accepting some level of pain for some
> period of time, when given the choice between doing that and not doing
> it, I will generally choose not to. ... the SOTM US social
> events have either taken place at a bar (starting from the very first
> one in Atlanta),...
Serge,

Alcohol could be sold only in certain places [1]. Many do expect it, and
it is impossible to change on the fly.
By the way, any normal person feels a bit painful, for the lack of a
better word, during a large social meet & mingle event. But nothing can
substitute it.
> , even though Brits tend to have more of a beer culture than even Americans.
I promised not to bring data into this discussion, so I will not argue it.

[1] http://www.njsp.org/news/pr070214.html

brgds,
Oleksiy